Associate in Applied Science
This A.A.S. Degree in Culinary Arts provides comprehensive theory and practical preparation for students seeking entry-level restaurant and food service positions in fine dining establishments, with core courses designed to prepare students for positions as station chefs, sous-chefs, and restaurant managers. Course offerings focus on the concepts of purchasing protocols, food preparation, nutrition, menu planning, equipment operation and basic maintenance, and table service.
Graduates will be able to:
- Perform basic technical skills required for industry employability.
- Exhibit professional demeanor, behavior, attitudes and ethical standards in the classroom and professional kitchen.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current food nutritional and political issues.
- Analyze food costs and execute basic food ordering and kitchen management tasks.
- Apply theoretical knowledge in a simulated restaurant situation.
- Perform both front of house (service) functions and back of the house (kitchen) tasks.
- Successfully complete an industry internship.