Credit for Prior Learning

Advanced Standing

Students may be awarded academic credit for prior educational experiences in several ways:

  1. By attending other regionally accredited institutions of post-secondary education. Enrollment Management, in consultation with academic departments, evaluates, at the request of students, official transcripts submitted and awards course-for-course credit and elective credit by discipline for other courses. All decisions made with respect to the transfer process shall be based on the principle of equivalence of expectations and requirements for native and transfer students.
  2. By attending non-regionally accredited institutions of post-secondary education. Students may receive credit upon the recommendation of the appropriate chairperson.
  3. By completing other non-college sponsored instruction. Credit for past experience may be given for work done through corporations, unions, government agencies, and similar sponsors upon evaluation by Enrollment Management. A maximum of twelve (12) credits may be awarded.
  4. By achieving the 50th percentile or higher on College-level Equivalency Program (CLEP) examinations. Enrollment Management awards a maximum of twelve (12) credits for CLEP.
  5. By completing military education courses. Enrollment Management evaluates transcripts using A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces. A maximum of twelve (12) credits is awarded for military education courses.
  6. By taking Advanced Placement Examinations (minimum score of 3). The Advanced Placement Program, sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board, offers students the opportunity to pursue college-level study while in secondary school and receive advanced placement and/or credit upon entering college. Upon successful completion of the AP exam, applicants should have the official scores sent to the Office of Admissions for evaluation. Students can request these scores by writing to: Advanced Placement Examination Program, College Entrance Examination Board,Princeton, NJ 08541-6671.
  7. By completing international course work. An evaluation of all international educational credentials must be forwarded from one of the following professional evaluation service agencies: World Education Services, Educational Credentials Evaluators, Globe Language Services, or Josef Silny & Associates.
  8. PCCC is a participating college in the New Jersey Prior Learning Assessment Network (NJ PLAN).  Students have an opportunity to earn credit toward their degrees for college-level learning acquired through work, civic activities, professional and military training, and professional licenses and certifications. Through NJ Plan, the portfolio assessment process will be completed through Thomas Edison State College, which will generate a transcript for credits earned. The credits earned through this process will be treated according to the PCCC transfer credit policy. Students interested in the portfolio assessment process should contact the PLA Coordinator in the Center for Student Success.

Transfer Credit Appeal
Problems arising from these regulations are referred to the Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, who issues a ruling.

Credit by Examination
Students may receive credit for a course if they can demonstrate they have reached a level of proficiency necessary to satisfy the requirements for that course. Students who wish to obtain credit by examination must receive approval from the department chairperson. Credit by examination, with some restrictions, can be awarded for courses in which students are not presently registered. Upon satisfactory performance on a comprehensive exam and payment of the appropriate exam fee, students are awarded a final grade of “E.” Credit by examination is not given for developmental-level courses.

Students who are currently enrolled, or have ever been enrolled in a specific course at Passaic County Community College, may not attempt credit by examination for that particular course.

Students may not repeat a credit-by-exam test for any one course.