Special Admissions Programs
ASL-English Interpreter Training A.A.S Degree Program
1. Meet Passaic County Community College’s admissions criteria.
2. College-level placement in English, Reading, and Mathematics.
3. Students are admitted into the ASL-English Interpreter Train-ing Degree Program when they have satisfactorily completed the following courses with a grade of “B” or higher:
• ASL 103 Fingerspelling
• ASL 104 American Sign Language I
• ASL 108 American Sign Language II
4. Prior to enrolling in ASL 221 Interpreting Practicum, students must achieve college-level placement in English, reading and mathematics.
Transferring ASL Credits
1. Placement testing is required prior to transferring of ASL course credits to determine the appropriate level of language competency. Transfer students are required to meet with the Department Chair and/or Program Coordinator.
2. Transferred students with advanced standing must complete at least one-half of the credits required in the major at PCCC to be awarded a degree.
Curriculum Admission Requirements:
1. Minimum grade of “C” is required in all General Education courses.
2. A grade of “B” or higher is required in ASL 103, ASL 104, ASL 105, ASL 108, ASL 109, ASL 201, ASL 202. ITP students must earn a minimum of a B or higher in this course to complete graduation (B-, C+, C, D, or F, students must repeat the course again).
3. A grade of “B” or higher is required in all interpreting courses: ASL 203, ASL 205, ASL 210, ASL 215, ASL 218, ASL 221. ITP students must earn a minimum of a B or higher in this course to complete graduation (B-, C+, C, D, or F, students must repeat the course again).
4. Students are required to take a signing skill proficiency exam prior to taking courses ASL 210, ASL 215, ASL 218, and ASL 221. Achieve advanced level of proficiency or higher. Additional requirements - Refer to ASL ITP Student Handbook.
Click here for a link to the ASL-English Interpreter Training A.A.S. Degree program.